Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Icon : Winona Ryder in Reality Bites




First of all, let me apologize to each and every one of you for neglecting our relationship these past couple of weeks. I have something to confess. I am having an affair - with beauty school. Specifically, this beauty school. But I will dedicate a whole other post to that later on. Let's get on to Winona. Don't mind if I do.

I have been Netflix'ing the shit out of some classic 90's movies. Think...

Empire Records and Renee's "Sugar High"
Chasing Amy and its awesome relationship advice
Swingers when Vince Vaughn was a smokin' hot drunk

And of course, the ultimate movie from my earlier years. Reality Bites. This film is just about perfect. But what I love most is watching Winona in all her grungy, waif-like awesomeness. She works those thrift store dresses and short, layered bob like she was born to play that role. I have never wanted to wear burgundy lips and smoke a cigarette more than after watching her with her best accessory, Ethan Hawke.  Why couldn't life be as simple as this?

Want to recreate her look? I know I do.



Next time I plan on heading to a coffee shop with a greasy, sexy guy on my arm, I will have a swipe of Shiseido Perfect Rouge in Mystery on my lips and clear, matte skin created by Laura Mercier's Laura's Secrets Volume 3 Flawless & Shine Free combo set.


I would finish it off with some lived-in smokey eyes, courtesy of lots of kohl eyeliner and a messy night's sleep. Oh, I would be listening to this while getting ready.

Now, don't think I have forgotten about the amazing coolness of Janeane Garofalo as Winona's best friend and confidante. Here's a refresher:




How badass is she? I could dedicate an entirely separate post to her beauty routine, but it is late and I need some rest. Promise me you will channel your inner 90's goddess this weekend. And boys, forget the shampoo, start chain-smoking, and throw on that thrift store shirt I know you still have. Then call me for some coffee.

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog!
    and I like that it makes me feel like style / fashion is within my reach :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the 90's. I admit - sometimes I miss you.
    Fabulous post! I'm totally going to watch this sometime over the weekend.
    Tell me all about beauty school!

    ReplyDelete